Find (legal!) music for your online videos
Written by Bud Stross
A critical component of any marketing strategy includes video. Creating one is as easy as pulling out your iPhone, but as with all things digital, there’s more to consider.
When it comes to video production, music is the icing on the cake. It helps bring everything together and set the mood. However, you can’t just pull your favorite artist’s song off YouTube and use it as the background song for your video. Sites like Facebook and YouTube use an algorithm that looks for copyrighted music in your videos. If they find non-licensed music in your video, it can get flagged, muted, deleted or—worst of all—incur hefty fines.
Not to worry. There are some great options out there—even free ones. If you are wanting something a little more special, you can purchase music through subscription sites that also protect your videos from getting flagged or taken down.
5 Places to Find Music for Your Videos
- Facebook Sound Collection – FREE – The Facebook Sound Collection is an audio library of sound effects and royalty free music that you can download for videos you create and post on Facebook.
- YouTube Audio Library – FREE – Use the YouTube Audio Library to get royalty-free production music to use in your videos. New releases are added to the Audio Library twice a month.
- Storyblocks — Starting at $8.25/month — Choose from millions of images, video footage clips, After Effects templates, and audio tracks.
- Artlist – Starting at $16.60/month — The filmmaking industry’s go-to library of high-quality royalty free music for videos, YouTube, advertising and films.
- Audio Jungle — Pay per song — Discover over 1,000,000 royalty-free music tracks and audio files from only $1 from a community of musicians and sound engineers.
Bud Stross is a Senior Videographer for 2060 Digital and Hubbard Cincinnati. Email him—he’ll be happy to geek out about video with you.
Feeling lost? Let the pros handle it.
We get it. You don’t need another thing to distract you from running your core business. That’s where Hubbard Cincinnati and 2060 Digital can help. We’ll keep you buttoned up legally…and also have a little fun along the way.
Let your story come alive through video. Take a peek at some of our work!
Stay on top of industry news and trends.